Hi there, I’m Sven. I’m a dad, husband, musician with a thing for blogging and taking pictures. Here you find all those Articles that I sweated over writing, and shorter notes you find in the Microblog. You can learn a bit more about me and the question what’s going on right /Now is answered here. If you must you can drop me a message.
Having fun playing a new game – Cobra Paw
Since I decided to stick with tea for a while, it seemed reasonable to purchase yet another way to make coffee. This one turned out to be delicious though.
I think I might have reached peak-caffeination. Maybe I’ll stick to tea for a while.
It’s that time of the year, that I for the uptenth time am about to re-think my blogging setup and wonder whether I should go back to a setup with Micro.Blog and Blot.im as I already started during the last year.
This year was interesting in many ways and in terms of my reading list especially.
For starters I started out rather strong and finished a couple of books right in the beginning of the year, and then I explored Audiobooks, which was the moment, when thing got, not necessarily out of hand, but surely a bit wild.
Once I started to read audiobooks two things happened almost immediately:
- The time I spent reading an actual book declined almost immediately (this has also to do with the fact that I prefer focussing on one book at the time)
- The time spent listening to podcasts declining equally dramatically. This is something that I always was thinking during all the Audible ads during podcasts: what I start listening to those, I will stop listening to this. Guess what, it happened. At the moment I have a developed a bit better balance, usually catching up with some shows once I have finished another book.
But now the books. First the actual books, and then the audiobooks. Technically there are a few audio-dramas in between, but I kept them in anyway. Also, I did not link to the book either, kind of was too lazy for that.
- James S.A. Corey: Persepolis Rising
- Dan Brown: Origin
- John Scalzi: Your Hatemail Will Be Graded
- Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman: Good Omens
- V.A.Schwab: Vicous
- Douglas Adams: Life, the Universe and Everything
- Douglas Adams: Mostly Harmless
- Douglas Adams: So long, and thanks for all the fish
- Douglas Adams: The Hitchhikers Guide
- Douglas Adams: The Restaurant at the end of the world
- Ernest Cline: Ready Player One
- Martha Wells: All Systems Red
- Martha Wells: Exit Strategy
- Martha Wells: Rogue Protocol
- Martha Wells: Artificial Condition
- William Peter Blatty: The Exorcist
- Ransom Riggs: Library Of Souls
- Ransom Riggs: Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children
- Ransom Riggs: Hollow City
- Stephen King: Elevated
- Stephen Hawking: A Brief History Of Time
- Margaret Atwood: The Handmaid’s Tale
- Stephen Fry: Mythos -The Greek Myths Retold
- Stephen Fry: Stephen Fry’s Victorian Secrets
- Neil Degrasse Tyson: Astrophysics for People in A Hurry
- Neil Gaiman: Neverwhere
- Tim Lebbon, Dirk Maggs: Alien – Out Of The Shadows
- George R.R. Martin: Nightflyers and Other Stories
- John Scalzi: The Consuming Fire
- John Scalzi: The Android’s Dream
- John Scalzi: The Redshirts
- John Scalzi: Agent To The Stars
- John Scalzi: Head On
- John Scalzi: The End Of All Things
- John Scalzi: The Human Division
- John Scalzi: Zoe’s Tale
- John Scalzi: The Collapsing Empire
- John Scalzi: Lock In
- Jason Dark: John Sinclair Compilation 4-7
- N.K. Nemesin: The Stone Sky
- N.K. Nemesin: The Obelisk Gate
- N.K. Nemesin: The Fifth Season
- Jonathan Maberry: Lullaby
- Michael McDowell: Blackwater – The Complete Saga
- Herbie Hancock: Possibilities
- Joe Harris, Chris Carter, Dikr Maggs: The X-Files – Cold Cases
- Sir Conan Doyle: Sherlock Holmes – The Definite Collection
- Daniel José Older: The Last Shot
- Peter Clines: The Fold
- Peter Clines: 14
45 audiobooks! I’m sure there are people that have been listening to more, but I think this is quite an achievement. For my yearly stats post I had already calculated that this sums up to 23 days and 1 hour listening to audiobooks.
I’m looking forward to see how my list for next year is going to look like.
Totally unrelated to anything at the moment, but I found this in the archives and realized that I haven’t shared it yet. An, obviously older image, from a trip to the Finnmark area in northern Norway.
As per recommendation of a friend I’m currently reading Yuval Noah Harari’s “Sapiens“. Very fascinating book 📚.
Finished the audiobook of Clive Barker’s Hellbound Heart the other day. Really liked the book, even though I found some developments in the story a bit peculiar. But then again, it’s a horror story and/or I might have missed something. 📚